We’re currently building out our team to focus on the development of our own biomaterial technology: microbial weaving, a biofabrication process employing bacteria to grow customizable composite materials. Our goal is to provide truly sustainable + inspiring cellulose-based alternatives to reduce the industry’s dependence on petrochemical-derived materials—without sacrificing creativity.
You’ll be working in a fast paced startup with opportunities for learning and growth. We can’t promise it’ll always be glamorous, but we can promise it’ll be exciting! Check out our open positions below to apply.
Location: London, UK
Hours: 25 hr/week
Salary: UK Kickstart Scheme (UK national minimum wage/ national living wage depending on age)
Special Requirements: UK Kickstart Scheme positions require applicants to be 16-24 years old for the duration of the placement and be eligible and applying for UK universal credit. More information can be found here.
We’re looking for a design engineering intern to support development of our ‘microbial weaving’ technology. You’ll work closely with and be supported by our technical and design teams to design and develop tools, processes, and systems for the creation of bio-fabricated (grown) materials.
If you are a systems thinker who loves to tinker with robots, additive manufacturing and future materials and want your efforts to have a genuine impact on big environmental challenges — we’d love to meet you.
You’ll be supporting the design and development of tools and systems for the creation of new biomaterials alongside our technical and creative teams
Systems + product design activities
- Assist design and engineering team members to improve microbial weaving process
- Design and 3D modeling of parts and tools
- Assist in development of digital design tools using Rhino and grasshopper
- Assist team in lab design + build
- Contribute to process development and documentation
Support daily Growlab activities
- “Warpbot” maintenance and operation
- Follow and maintain lab + sterilization protocols
- Start and maintain sample cultures
- Cleaning and maintenance of grow equipment
- Must be (age 16-24) and eligible to work in the UK / meet requirements for the UK Kickstart Scheme
- Strong portfolio (can be student work) exhibiting conceptual and technical design skills
- Undergraduate degree (or working towards it) in industrial design, architecture, product design, 3D design interdisciplinary design, mechanical engineering or related field
- Proven technical foundation in product and/or systems design
- Some experience (can be student work) with additive manufacturing / CNC
- excellent attention to detail
- An interest in the intersection of fashion, materials and technology
- An interest or experience in digital / generative design methods
- Good general knowledge of adobe creative suite (photoshop, illustrator)
- Reliable and trustworthy with solid time-management skills.
- Flexibility and problem solving – able to take on new ideas and challenge conventional wisdom
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to work with and support team members from different background and disciplines
How to Apply
Send your CV and cover letter (with the position you are applying for in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org