We’re currently building out our team to focus on the development of our own biomaterial technology: microbial weaving, a biofabrication process employing bacteria to grow customizable composite materials. Our goal is to provide truly sustainable + inspiring cellulose-based alternatives to reduce the industry’s dependence on petrochemical-derived materials—without sacrificing creativity.
You’ll be working in a fast paced startup with opportunities for learning and growth. We can’t promise it’ll always be glamorous, but we can promise it’ll be exciting! Check out our open positions below to apply.
Location: London, UK
Hours: Full-time or part-time depending on candidate
We are looking for a versatile technician with CAM/digital manufacturing experience to operate our robotic weaving system (“Warpbot”) in our daily growlab activities and work closely with our Biology and Design teams to help developing tools, processes, and systems for the creation of bio-fabricated (grown) materials.
You’ll be working in a fast paced startup with great opportunities for learning and growth. This is a unique opportunity to get hands-on experience shaping future textile manufacturing. We can’t promise it’ll always be glamorous, but we can promise it’ll be exciting!
Daily Workshop activities
- Operate & maintain our custom made robotic weaving systems (“Warpbot”) for production and sample generation.
- Prepare files and designs for production on the Warpbot.
- Work closely with the Biology Lab Technician, to establish & ensure seamless production workflow.
Daily Growlab activities
- Work with the Biology Team to maintain growlab and assist with growth culture preparation.
- Executing daily lab protocol including cleaning and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Support/ assist with technical development of automated grow & weaving systems.
- Support Design Team in prototype/product development.
- Liaise with both internal and external partners and experts to solve complex technical problems.
- Undergraduate degree (i.e. Industrial Design, Mechanical / Electrical Engineering) or two years relevant experience (i.e. CAM Technician, Creative Technologist, Machine Operator or related field
- Knowledge & experience operating CAM machines (3D printers, CNC, Laser Cutter, toolpath generation)
- Good CAD Knowledge (Rhino)
- Visual programming knowledge (Grasshopper)
- Adapt mechanical understanding
- Systematic and detail oriented thinking
- Problem solving skills: open to invent and find unusual solutions to unusual problems.
- An interest or experience in digital / generative design methods
- Reliable and trustworthy with solid time-management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to work with and support team members from different background and disciplines
- An interest in the intersection of fashion, materials and biology
Nice to haves:
- Coding experience (i.e. Arduino, Grbl, Gcode)
- Further coding experience (Python, C#)
- Experience working in a lab environment (e.g. chemistry or microbiology lab)
How to Apply
Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.