We’re currently building out our team to focus on the development of our own biomaterial technology: microbial weaving, a biofabrication process employing bacteria to grow customizable composite materials. Our goal is to provide truly sustainable + inspiring cellulose-based alternatives to reduce the industry’s dependence on petrochemical-derived materials—without sacrificing creativity.
We’re looking for a microbiology lab technician to work closely with our technical team to build our R&D facility to grow new materials with biology.
If you love practical lab work and want your efforts to have a genuine impact on big environmental challenges — we’d love to meet you.
You’ll be working in a fast paced startup with opportunities for learning and growth, using your scientific skills to change the way materials are made. We can’t promise it’ll always be glamorous, but we can promise it’ll be exciting!
You’ll be helping to equip the lab and support the research and development of novel biofabricated materials (grown by living bacteria).
- Support with testing and optimising growth of cellulose producing bacteria (acetobacter species)
- Write and carry out standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Support with materials testing including preparing and sending samples for external analysis
- Record results and present data to the team
- Order and restock chemicals and consumables
- Order and testing new laboratory equipment
- Clean and maintain equipment
- Ensure sterility of lab environment
Health and Safety
- Follow and ensure high standards of health and safety
- Assist with improving SOPs and risk assessments
- Arrange maintenance, servicing and calibration of equipment
The role requires growing and testing physical materials in our lab and pilot facility
- Able to lift and move 3kg frequently
- Comfortable working standing for up to 4 hours / day
- Comfortable wearing PPE (gloves, goggles, face mask) when required
- Practical biology lab experience, including microbiology and aseptic technique
- BSc in biology or related field or 2+ years lab work experience
- Reliable, trustworth with strong time management skills
- Good organisational skills, able to multitask
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to work with and support team members from different backgrounds and disciplines
- Central London office and lab
- Pension plan
- Interdisciplinary team with opportunities for learning and growth
- Real world positive impact – producing genuinely sustainable materials
Manager: Bioprocess Scientist
Ideal start date: ASAP
How to Apply
Send CV and cover letter (with the position you are applying for in the subject line) to email@example.com
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, please apply as early as possible.