We’re expanding our team to further the development of our microbial weaving technology- a biofabrication platform that employs bacteria to grow a new class of cellulose-based textiles & composites. Our goal is to provide truly sustainable + inspiring cellulose-based materials to reduce the industry’s dependence on petrochemicals — without sacrificing performance or creativity.
If you are interested in joining the team but none of the advertised roles suit your experience, you can leave your details here.
Modern Synthesis was founded on the idea that the convergence of disparate disciplines, perspectives and ideas is key to building a robust biomaterial economy. We thrive on a culture of debate, and value transparency, collaboration and both personal and cumulative growth. We are committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees are welcome.
We hire people, not roles, so we can be flexible on scope. If you believe you are qualified for a portion of a role, and can demonstrate a desire and proven ability to adapt and take on new skills and challenges, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We’re looking for a highly organised Project Manager to support us through our upcoming relocation and oversee the site design and build through to completion.
We’re rapidly outgrowing our current home, so this is an exciting opportunity to influence the creation of our new facility which will be a combination of laboratory, workshop and office space. Working closely with our science, engineering and design teams, as well as external contractors, you’ll be the main point of contact throughout the build and subsequent move, helping minimise disruption and keeping the project on track. We can’t promise it’ll always be glamorous, but we can promise it’ll be exciting!
This is a three month contract position.
- Managing our move from commencement through to completion
- Be the main point of contact between internal and external stakeholders, keeping the team updated with relevant developments
- Ensure the project is delivered in a timely fashion and on the agreed budget by setting benchmarks, agreeing contracts and monitoring progress
- Support engineering decisions relating to the project cost and budget while design-build changes take place during construction
- Communicate and manage all consultants, subcontractors, supervisors, planners, quantity surveyors and others involved in the project
- Managing and checking deliveries, inspecting work and overseeing quality control
- Problem solve any issues as they arise
- Sourcing furniture and equipment
- Experience managing building projects
- Experience managing a budget
- Highly organised, enjoy creating order out of chaos and keeping multiple plates spinning at once
- Eager to get your hands dirty but also know when to outsource or subcontract
- You understand how things are built and can source the right materials/ skills to get the job done well
- Can-do attitude, willingness to help out the team on other projects as needed
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of health and safety practices
- A keen eye for detail
- London based (ability to travel and work from South West London site)
Nice to have
- Skilled Designer / Builder / Craftsman
- Architecture, structural engineering, construction graduate or related experience
- Knowledge of extraction ventilation in laboratories of category 1 or kitchens
- Knowledge of building requirements and regulations
- Experience or keen interest in biodesign, designing spaces for biological research + creative practices, prior exposure to GMP practices.
- UK driving licence
Duration: 3 month, full time
Manager: Sara Richardson (Chief of Staff)
Salary: up to £250 per day dependent on experience
Desired start date: ASAP
How to apply
Send CV and cover letter (with the position you are applying for in the subject line) to email@example.com